Monday, June 29, 2009

Truthful Pages

It is by your mighty hand that nations rise and fall
To demonstrate you are the Sovereign Lord over all.
Were it true that we too applied this to our lives
And glorify you in every situation as we realize:
We are finite and you are infinitely supreme,
You are sovereign–even when it doesn’t seem.
Cause our minds in gratitude to thank your holy name,
Remind our hearts of future grace when overcome with shame.
I DO NOT SEE into the future clearly–not even my next breath is guaranteed! But right here in the present I’m overwhelmed, even if it is only confined to my heartless head knowledge, with how I’ve failed and am failing even now: in imprudent use of time, lack of resolution, entertainment of prideful, arrogant thoughts which do not glorify you whatsoever. I can’t even begin to count the ways in which I’m so in need of your sanctifying power! And even so, I’m not even fully aware of the full extent of my depravity–nor will I ever! Your gaze pierces to the depths of my sinfulness beyond even what I know…yet you still love me–not because of who I am, but for your great namesake!
Preach to my soul! You, truthful pages I have read,
Remind me of truth when I hear lies upon my bed.
Chain my mind and my heart to this,
A truth that brings me ultimate bliss:
You, precious Lamb, who died in my stead
Ordained that from me, God’s wrath has fled,
And upon you instead, that wrath was relinquished,
The debt was paid, praise you, praise you! It is finished!

No comments:

Post a Comment