Monday, June 29, 2009

Theological Tightrope

In my heart’s wretched woes and daily reminiscing regret
Give me the grace to focus on truth and to never forget:
While I ponder my frustrating sins, like a fetter,
You’re preserving me eternally, a reality far better.
Teach me graceful confidence, coming from you alone,
So that in meekness, I may boldly approach your throne.
For it is Christ who has paid my sinful debt to atone,
He freely chose me-just as freely as the wind has blown.
IT IS SO DIFFICULT to walk this theological tightrope. To the left is the cliff of antinomianism where I see the beautiful truths of Scripture being perverted and misapplied. There is no contrite spirit, only a boastful mentality of presumption that takes God’s promises and assumes those future graces so that sin may increase. To the right of this razor’s edge is a gulf of legalism which does not brashly presume upon God’s graces but, just as wrongfully, doubts God’s future grace so that the present is lived only upon thankfulness for what God has already done.
We need more than just gratitude for grace to us in the past.
Living on, “Thanks for back then,” will never satisfy or last!
Our Father doesn’t want his children to merely survive,
But withholds nothing good from us that we may thrive.

No comments:

Post a Comment